Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Frayer Model


In RED 4519, I learned how to use the Frayer Model and I found this graphic organizer to be very helpful for me as well as for students. I am a very big fan of graphic organizers because I am a visual learner and I like to see things visually and learn this way, rather than learning through listening. I also am a hands-on kinesthetic learner, but I think that seeing things visually gives me an understanding, especially when learning new words. I enjoyed learning about the Frayer Model because it is not the original word and definition sheet we are used to seeing everywhere in classrooms. The Frayer Model shows a box with the vocabulary word in the center and the space around is used to help you learn the word with the definition, synonyms, antonyms, an example, and with a drawing.  I enjoyed using the Frayer Model that I wanted to incorporate this into my AIP to have my student learn new words with this graphic organizer as well. This model gives a chance to learn through examples and definitions, and by drawing a picture, students can memorize the word visually and this is a technique they can use for the rest of their lives, even for non-vocabulary words they learn throughout the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment